6 hours in the ER.

So Kalaree woke up not feeling real great this morning, actually puking. Then Kami started saying her tummy hurt around noon. Kalaree had started feeling better so I let it go. Kami feel asleep on the couch at 2 and I figured it went along with the upset stomach. At 4 she woke up screaming, doubled over in pain. Thinking that this was weird I decided to call the Dr., especially since she wasn't running a fever. Now remember it is 4 and they close at 5. The nurse could hear Kami screaming so she said to take her to the ER. So off we head. Kami stops screaming on the way there and I am thinking what a waste of my time. We get there and they bring us back, Kami is still complaining about a tummy ache. She is tossing and turning all over the bed she is laying on. They order a urine sample and a stomach xray. Of course, Kami doesn't have to pee. So they bring her apple juice and a popsicle. By time they come to take her to the xray she is absolutely fine. I am thinking yea I just spent a $50 copay for a popsicle and apple juice. GREAT!!!! The xray is clear but they still want a urine sample so I tell Kami we can't come home till she pees. She finally says, okay I think I can go now. So off we run to get her to pee in a bowl thank goodness, no holding a tiny cup under her for me. Well next thing I know they are asking check her blood sugar. Weird but go ahead. She hadn't eaten since 1 and it was getting close to 6 at this point. I want to go home an figure whatever gets us out of there is fine by me. Then the Dr. comes back in and says that she would like us to do more blood test on Kami. That her urine sample had glucose in it, which it shouldn't and that her blood sugar was elevated (183.) So now this becomes a hold this girl down 4 nurses type of thing so they could get some of her blood and to give her an IV for fluid. Why might I ask is that a standard procedure? Well six hours later they are discharging us with a diagnosis of type one diabetes childhood onset. Orders to schedule an appointment on Monday with the endocrinologist and to avoid all sweets (Did you not realize it is Christmas people?) till we can get in to see the Dr. Oh and to check her blood sugars twice a day. Right now I am quite a bit confused and well rattled, for lack of a better word. I want to crawl in bed and then wake up from this nightmare. I know things will be fine but right now I am not feeling that way. I don't want to have to worry about diet and all that crap. I just want my baby to be fine. We got lucky though and caught this before she got really sick from it, so there is a bonus. I've decided that Dwecember is a month that just needs to be wiped from exsitence in our family, too much crap happens, David's car accident, Kami and David getting hit by a car and now this. I think I am going to take a sleeping pill now and go to bed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
:( Is it too soon to say it will be fine. Don't worry it all turns out. Maybe something like: I love you and if you need to talk give me a call. yea that sounds much better than that other crap.

{{HUGS}} SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited to see you Tuesday! MISS YOU! Kiss the girls for me. You can tell Dave I love him but no kisses from me... maybe a hug... Hmm... I'll have to think on this one. He can give you a kiss from me... whatever...

mwacks!

Popular posts from this blog

My wish list

LOVE CRAIGSLIST

LOVE craigslist.