Not Salsa!!!


Every year I can homemade salsa. I love doing it and actually look forward to making the salsa. This year was no exception. The one thing I hate though is the peeling the tomatoes, but David helped this year and it seemed to go much quicker and almost less messy. I do have to say it is quite a change from canning in the 1/2 a butt kitchen to this new one. I was able to triple the amount of salsa this year so maybe after the kids give away their usual share and I do the whole take for a quick and easy at a pot luck we will have some left for at the house. Now I know most of you are wondering why the title of not salsa. There is a very funny story that goes along with that title. One year I made a double batch and knowing David likes a hotter batch than myself I made one with more jalapeno peppers than the other. Well the only way to tell the difference is to label the jars. So I neatly wrote "salsa" on my jars and "hot salsa" on David's jars. Of course mine went faster than David's did so when a Relief Society function came around I only had the "hot salsa" left to take. I grabbed a jar and ran out the door with a bag of tortilla chips. We had this great and wonderful lady in our ward by the name of Nancy Eastham. I have never met a kinder, sweeter, more loving individual in my life. At the time Nancy was the Relief Society President and so she opted to work the kitchen that night at the function. Well I left my jar of salsa and bag of chips on the kitchen counter to come back later and find that she so loving poured the salsa into a bowl and placed the chips off to the side. I thanked her for doing so and she then says to me, "Can I ask what the dip is?" Surprised I replied, "It is homemade salsa." Her reply made me laugh (quietly to myself of course and even years after.) "OOOHHHH, It looked like salsa, smelled like salsa, and even tasted like salsa, but the lid said, 'not salsa'." Apparently my penmanship was not as clear to others as I thought it was. So if your ever are at our house and have a craving for salsa know that around here it is "Not Salsa."

Comments

Mikaela said…
AS soon as I saw the post, I busted up laughing! The good old days!

Popular posts from this blog

My wish list

LOVE CRAIGSLIST

LOVE craigslist.