Must be the day for posts.

Okay so this has been weighing on my mind for some time now. It is kind of a rant and it is political so I am sure it will generate some emotions from others. I truly hope I don't offend anyone, but as you know discussing politics and religion is always the worst thing to do.

This being a major election year and the economy being in the shape it is makes this hit me even more. Why does anyone have the right to vote on civil liberty type of issues?

I understand that Prop 8 in California is about defining marriage. I truly believe that marriage is ordain between a man and a women and that is my belief but do I really have the right to tell someone else that they must believe that? I would hate for the for the many and sometimes majority of people that disagree with my religion to join forces and make it illegal for me to worship the way I choose or to make marriage be only legal between a women and a women and a man and a man. Now don't get me wrong. I am not saying that it should be. I am simply saying that I have the right to believe the way I believe and to teach my children that way and they have the right to do as they believe. We are blurring some simple lines that we so freely and clearly drew when as citizens we left British colonies and declared ourselves free. We were tired of repression and wanted a country where we are free to make choices. Yet we move in a direction were it is a majority decides how all should act. What happens when the majority decides that all children with disabilities should be quarantine in institutions, doesn't matter what it is, they must go, would you freely give your child with a disability because that is what in fact we are saying that we as a society get to choose how everyone must act, believe, live, etc. Well what happens when you become one of the minorities and can not continue to live as you have chosen because you were voted against. We have so many other very much more important issues that need to be discussed and will directly affect all in this country. Things like education, economy, housing, etc. For those that would say to me that the Lord would not want it to happen, I say our elder brother offered to come down and force us to do as the Lord wanted, it was the other option. Yet the decision was to allow us our freedom to choose and we accepted that responsibility. We accepted that choice would be one of our wonderful opportunities in this life and that we would accept the consequences for our choices. So I say let them choose. I am glad I do not have to vote one way or the other since I do not live in a state with Prop 8. But I can tell you if and when the time comes that it is on the ballot, I will abstain. I will abstain from that as well as any other civil liberty vote that they ask of me because I truly believe that choice is ours, it is a God given right and I will never join in taking someones choice away. IT is not because I don't have a true belief here it is because I do not wish to put my time into something that should not even be out there. My time and effort will be in giving to those areas that need to be addressed such as economy, education, etc.

Okay political rant over. I hope everyone still likes me after this.

Comments

Cale and Sharon said…
I personally totally agree with you. Everyone has the right to their own agency. Who are we to say how someone should live their life. Unless they are harming themselves or others, then they should be left alone. Your right we don't have to agee with that lifestyle we don't have to teach our kids to live that way, but we don't have the right to tell them how to live their lives. I for one am glad that we don't have this on our ballot, but personally I agree think that their are much more important issues that need to be dealt with, and would rather spend my time on those.

Popular posts from this blog

My wish list

LOVE CRAIGSLIST

LOVE craigslist.