Why I love my job.

The beginning of the year I had this wonderful opportunity to talk with each of the classes and share my job responsibilities. Well the best way I could explain why I love my job is that I get to be a problem solver. I don't know if as a child I loved puzzles, but I think life puzzles now really intrigue me. When I am able to find a solution to a problem it just makes me extremely happy and I had one of those days.

We have been assessing a student because they are turning 9 and currently they have the handicapping category of developmentally delayed. Well at or before the 9th birthday that category has to be changed and so we are trying to find another category for this student. Unfortunately, this student had not read the Washington Administration Codes and therefore they were not meeting any category requirements. This student has a lower IQ but their adaptive was to high to be mentally retarded. There was not a medical diagnosis and the students academics were also better than what they should be based on the IQ, so no discrepancy and therefore no specific learning disability. We were pulling our hair out because this was a student that really does need the help but not fitting in the box. Well today the answer came. The puzzle is solved and this student will continue to receive services and I am so glad. I have been walking on cloud nine the whole day because of it. What a joy.

I also lately have had the opportunity to do all the wonderful counseling stuff that I wanted to do from the beginning. I still feel rather rusty at the whole counseling part but I know as time goes on it will come. I do love the children I work with and the staff is wonderful.

So this is why I love my job.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My wish list

LOVE CRAIGSLIST

LOVE craigslist.